Monday, October 8, 2007

The Path to RVCE

The Outlook and The Week rated IITs among the top 10 institutes in India and a College called RVCE,Bangalore was placed in 10th place among the list of 'Best Private Engineering Colleges of India'.Looking at such responses and the standing of brand IIT,i too had my target locked on IIT or even a NIT was wat i was hoping for in the beginning of 1st PU.This was the very reason y i chose BASE rather than a conventional Shastri or Gururaj tutions.My time in BASE was extreme fun.Maybe umashankar wont fancy the word FUN to be associated with BASE,but i had some serious fun there.My marks were somewat like this in First year-54%,43%,30%,20%,20%.......20%.i was very consistent !!...the first ranker used to get around 60%...so 20% was no big deal.one scenario will sum up my 1st PU--BASE class at 2.30.We are in Upahara Darshini(50mts from my College) at 2.25.10 of us standing around the table
"wat to do ??...5 min for class.."
"whose class da ??"
teacher Xs name is uttered--
"Arre yaar..its ok...i am hungry...i am taking a bhel...anybody want a share ??"
at 3.00--
"we should have gone to class man...i have lost track about the lessons "
"thats the whole point...we have already lost track...so by the time we find it...its 2nd year...simple !"
suddenly in a sense of alarm--
"tomorrow is BASE test da....anybody remember ???"
"crap...anybody knows portions ???"
After a lot of tests like this--Selection results--Phone call-
"Can i spek to Mr.Abhiram?"
me--"he has gone out...wats the msg ?"(with a fear that its attendance shortage)
"plz tell him that he is selected for 2nd year BASE"
me--"thats great...thank you"
so this is how i got into 2nd year and thats when i realized i need to get serious.But this is my one regret-i had already lost major ground in 1st year which i was not able to cover later.
My target was then shifted from IIT-JEE to AIEEE as i had to get realistic about my chances.Since i could have only 2 targets and now that IIT-JEE was virtually out of the equation,i set RVCE as my secondary target.The reason-My Dad-RV E&C,my bro-R IT,my uncle-RV as well.all the engineers from my family are from RV...so it was in my head that i should get atleast a minimum of a free seat in RVCE.it was a matter of pride,as i put it.
My second PU was pretty good...was among the top 20 in my College....but still PU screwed me--90 %--this led to me getting 1758 rank in CET--my gate pass to RVCE-IT.

No comments: